Working Group Charges:
Directive 2012/34/EU on the allocation of railway infrastructure capacity and the levying of charges for the use of the railway infrastructure requires Regulatory Bodies to ensure non-discrimination on the railway market and, in particular, to check whether charging principles are properly applied and separation of accounts is fully respected.
IRG-Rail’s Working Group “Charges” (WG Charges) continuously develops a common understanding of charging principles across the European rail sector. In particular, WG Charges will:
- gather, organize and exchange information on charging issues (e.g. charging principles for the use of infrastructure, incentive regulation, the calculation of direct cost based charges and mark-ups, especially for international routes, accounting separation principles);
- discuss regulatory issues related to the examination of cost components and the resulting composition of infrastructure charges, as well as to the assessment of single charging components;
- seek to understand the implications for railway charges on the opening of the domestic markets and for the competition.
The Working Group Charges follows the subsequent topics:
- Write papers and formulate common positions on charging related matters
- Support the work of other IRG Rail Working Groups
- Exchange with stakeholders of the rail sector, incl. RUs as well as IMs and the European Commission